Perspectives.org taught me, when serving online, you always run the risk of being “overheard.” You have to practice what Billy Graham is quoted as saying, “A real Christian is the one who can give his pet parrot to the town gossip.”
- Do you have a back-up plan?
- What if your emails were published?
- What if your texts were hacked?
- Do you have a back up place to serve if serving where you are is exposed?
- Learn about the country they are coming from, and email the missionary’s organization to find out any security concerns.
- Do not post about their visit on social media unless you have verified that it is okay.
- Be vague when talking about the missionary, focusing instead on the subject, and keeping the name of the missionary out of it, unless you have received prior permission.
- Even on a private Facebook account, bear these suggestions in mind. Any Facebook status can be copied to an internal clipboard and re-pasted without your permission.
- If you can’t contact them, google their name. If they have a website or are all over the web, it’ s probably safe.