A false religion is also referred to as a cult. The definition of cult is an unorthodox religious group that has misdirected and wrong beliefs many would regard as dangerous and extreme. It usually involves unquestioned devotion to a specific person or movement.
In my list are a few characteristics of false religions:
- Unquestioning Submission – Any questions that challenge the doctrine or leadership are discouraged in false religions.
- Value Rejection – Value and beliefs of former life must be denounced in false religions (This is more about control than purity).
- Absolute Loyalty – Allegiance is demanded and enforced by threats to ones body or eternal spiritual condition in false religions.
- Exclusive – Those outside of cults are viewed as spiritually inferior, creating a “we” versus “they” attitude. Our way is the only way in false religions.
- Isolation – Separation from family, friends and society are required in false religions.
- Love Bombing – Surrounding them with love and affection causes people to accept things that they normally would not accept in false religions.
- Lack of Privacy – Critical thinking is impossible when people are left unattended and unoccupied in false religions.
- Altered Diet – Depriving one of essential nutrients can lead to disorientation in false religions.
- Conformity – Dress, language, names and interests take on a sameness. They have to dress, look, and act alike in order to be right in false religions.
- Financially Manipulated – All money must be donated to the cause to keep people poor in false religions.
- Absurd Claims – A leader who claims to be divine and be the source of salvation in false religions.