Running my websites require enormous time on the internet. Even my phone is packed with social media apps to help save time. If I am not writing blogs, I am social networking. In between, I live in the real world.
In the real world, I work a full time job, keep in shape, and enjoy quiet time with my husband. A friend of mine once called my hectic schedule, “juggling plates.” Every week is an adventure in trying to keep my week sane and under control.
What this has taught me is how to be more disciplined and creative. I want to serve God honorably and with everything I am, being obedient to His calling for my life. This requires careful budgeting of my time in every aspect of my life.
So how do I do it?
- Hootsuite: I use a program that I can schedule posts out throughout the week. This way my social media sites are active, giving relevant content while I am doing other things.
- Commercials: No one listens to commercials. If the program isn’t DVR’d, I do some social networking and marketing on my phone during commercials.
- Bathroom: Multitasking is somewhat necessary. Some novelists are moms. One of those moms blogged how she locks herself in the bathroom and writes her novel. You have to be creative to find time for what is important.
- Doctor’s Appointment, Motor Vehicle, Waiting, Waiting, and More Waiting: Life is about waiting. While waiting in line, I social network. When I am waiting for a ride, I social network. At break, at lunch, and whenever I have a moment, I social network and engage using text messaging, social networking, email, etc.
- Blogs: Blogs are scheduled out. I work on them on the weekends and schedule them out throughout the week so it’s one less thing to do. Ideas for blogs are written down on my phone, scraps of paper, or in a notebook I keep nearby. I write a skeleton of the idea out and add the flesh later when I have more time.
- ‘I Hate Sports’: Baseball season is a blessing. This means I am more productive because my husband has the game on all the time. When he takes me to games, I can read, study, and social network.
- Graphics: I love doing graphics. This requires a creative mood. So I usually do those throughout the week.
In between, I am answering posts, talking to people, and doing necessary stuff for the business. However, I run three websites, so my life is crazy.
You are a mom, a pastor, a pastor’s wife, a grandma, or maybe a student, and can utilize some of the above ideas in your own life to help you engage with unbelievers or ‘Lone-Wolf Christians’ in a deeper way while not allowing social media to have a negative impact on your life.
If you were to join us as a Social Media Missionary, your name would remain anonymous. You would only be required to social network at minimum an hour a week. Monthly online meetings are scheduled according to your availability and only last an hour. So with careful budgeting of your time, you can reach the diaspora of the world. You can cross political and cultural boundaries.
All by using just ONE of your social media sites in a missional way.